Thursday, January 29, 2015

 

I QUIT!!! I've tried for weeks now, I've perservered but I'm giving up...

 Bonnie K Hunter is a person I really admire, I have made 6 or 8 of her fabulously designed and mostly Mystery Quilts.  Bonnie is very generous, once a year she puts up on her website a Mystery Quilt.  First of all she tells us why she has decided on the name for this Mystery... the latest one is called Grand Illusions after a hotel she stayed in last May called the GRAND HOTEL on Mackinac Island, Michigan! Check it out here...http://www.grandhotel.com/

Check out Bonnies Introduction... Here...
You can see her photos and why she chose the fabrics she chose for her quilt.

Then each week she puts up on her Site Part 1 through to Part 6 and the final layout.  Great fun it is.

So I did Part 1 - which was 280 triangle squares made into 100 Broken Dish blocks with 80 triangle squares left over.

I made Part 2 - 100 Double Diamond Blocks

I  started... Part 3 - 120 8x2" blocks... I was way behind by this time, Bonnie does put her Mystery's out over Christmas which is not a good time to sew for me... but I was really excited about making this quilt as so many SCQuilter friends were making it and heaps of the Blue Gum Quilters as well...

Then I saw the finished product! See below...

 I am afraid I can't cope with the busyness of this quilt, my head just can't get around it!  This is the very first Bonnie Mystery I've started making, that gave me a headache... but I wasn't going to be daunted so I finished off Part 2 and Part 3 and tried putting blocks together.... eeeeeekkkkkk!!  So I tried putting plain centres in the middle of the blocks but eeeeekkkkk...  So... I've just packed up my blocks and will do something a lot simpler than Bonnie's Grand Illusions at a later date.

Now I'm going to really concentrate on Brenda's Churn Dash Challenge... really I am... I really am... I'm going to start today, right now in fact!!!!!!!!

Labels:


Comments:
Mathematically it's irritating and visually awkward when she goes from a four patch block to a smaller square in the sashing!
 
Thank heavens I never started it, at the time I just had too much going on. It looks very very complicated.
 
Yeah Fran, I agree. I don't know why this one is soooo far from her others which I have always found busy with a lot of little blocks but they always seemed to work out pleasing to the eye.
Loz, I knew I would never be able to get near this quilt until TEAMG went home but I got carried away with all those at the Blue Gum! It will be interesting to see just how many of them finish. I know one girl bought fabric especially, just the five colours used and not scraps in her stash as I did.
 
Next time I'm going to wait to see what the finished quilt looks like then if I like it get digging in my stash... I do love the fact that I can make these quilts without buying a scrap of fabric.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?