Monday, July 14, 2014
Photo a Day Challenge - 14.7.2014 - Old School.
As some of you already know I went to many many schools... This one is still as I remember it although it used to be Willoughby Girls Primary on the left and Willoughby Boys Primary on the right... with a fence right down the middle of the Playground.
When I first started at this school, in 5th Class in 1956, we were living at Strathfield with my mothers parents. Dad had started working at 7 Field Regiment Willoughby but the married quarters had not yet been built. When school term started Dad had to get to work earlier than us so he had a couple of Sergeant's pick my brother Tim and I up from Strathfield and drive us to school in Dad's Officers car. The route they took was past the Northern Suburbs Crematorium and one of the Sergeants would delight with telling us about the bodies being burnt and sitting up and groaning. I have never forgotten these trips!
When we arrived at the School we were so embarrassed, not only did we arrive at school in a car, (everyone walked or caught a bus in those days...) but this 'car' stood out as something special. Tim and I would crouch down below the window and quickly open the door before the Sergeant could and we would rush up the path behind the car and then pretend we didn't know anything about that Army Car being there LOL!!
This was so embarrassing... not only were we new to the School, it wasn't an Army School it was a real suburban School in the Big City and we'd just come from Kapooka!!
It wasn't long before the Married Quarters was finished and then we were able to go to School in the School Bus. What joy!
When I first started at this school, in 5th Class in 1956, we were living at Strathfield with my mothers parents. Dad had started working at 7 Field Regiment Willoughby but the married quarters had not yet been built. When school term started Dad had to get to work earlier than us so he had a couple of Sergeant's pick my brother Tim and I up from Strathfield and drive us to school in Dad's Officers car. The route they took was past the Northern Suburbs Crematorium and one of the Sergeants would delight with telling us about the bodies being burnt and sitting up and groaning. I have never forgotten these trips!
When we arrived at the School we were so embarrassed, not only did we arrive at school in a car, (everyone walked or caught a bus in those days...) but this 'car' stood out as something special. Tim and I would crouch down below the window and quickly open the door before the Sergeant could and we would rush up the path behind the car and then pretend we didn't know anything about that Army Car being there LOL!!
This was so embarrassing... not only were we new to the School, it wasn't an Army School it was a real suburban School in the Big City and we'd just come from Kapooka!!
It wasn't long before the Married Quarters was finished and then we were able to go to School in the School Bus. What joy!

