Monday, December 06, 2021

 

Buckland Abbey, Yelverton, UK - 18 minute drive north from Plymouth, Devon.

Last week we watched a show called 'Britain's Most Historic Towns' by Professor Alice Roberts who visited Plymouth then Buckland Abbey.

Buckland Abbey, once the home of Sir Francis Drake was bought in 1946  by Captain Arthur Rodd, a distant relative.
My Great Uncle Brent Rodd had visited him on his trips to the UK,  so when I was heading to the UK to marry David in 1968  Brent gave me the contact details of Aunty Fanny Rodd who was the sister of the deceased Arthur who donated the Abbey in 1947 to the National Trust.

I contacted Fanny who directed us to Buckland Abbey and a visit with Arthur's wife living in the Cider Cottage, Fanny was absolutely delightful, Mrs Rodd maybe not so 😉

Here I am sitting in Sir Francis Drakes Chair in the Great Hall.
Below is a photo I found on their website this chair is on the left.

Aunty Fanny and David.
The Abbey was closed but Fanny showed us all around which was very special.

Fanny did enjoy a ride in our London Taxi.


Buckland Abbey is a Grade I listed[1] 700-year-old house in Buckland Monachorum, near Yelverton, Devon, England, noted for its connection with Sir Richard Grenville the Younger and Sir Francis Drake. It is owned by the National Trust.

 

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?