Thursday, July 27, 2017

 

Dunno why I do things sometimes but yesterday's 'thing' gave me a big smile. It's 1954, we are living at Kapooka Army Camp and QE11 is coming to Wagga!

 The Queen and the Duke were only in Wagga for 145 minutes, so the commentator tells us in the full  movie in my next post.

I was 9 years old and a Brownie (for about two weeks if the truth be known).  Brownies, Guides, Scouts, Cubs and lots of School Children packed the streets to see QE11 and the Duke drive by... all I remember really is the heat, it was 88 degrees, or 31c, I remember feeling crushed and very very hot and being given an ice block before we headed home... but the best memory is of my dad Rip being close to the Queen... I found an old movie on YouTube and managed to do a Grab of my Dad. on left in the photo above... the Queen is hidden behind the men in the middle of this photo and that's the Duke on the right.
Here's a little snippet, you have to watch closely right at the end...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?