Sunday, December 25, 2016

 

Photo a Day Challenge - 25.12.2016 - Something New.


This is the latest story I've written for the Grandchildren.





Pennie's Christmas Story.
(Christmas 1948)

When I was 3 years old I was living with my Grandparents Mama and Poppa at 'Nar Vale' in Strathfield along with my Aunt Pam my Uncle Tony, my Parents, Rip and Rosie and my 3 month old baby brother Tim, it was Christmas Eve and everybody was very excited.

When it was almost dark the whole family, Mama, Poppa, Rip, Rosie, Pennie, Pam and Tony walked a short distance to Burwood Park.  Mama and Rosie put some rugs on the grass for us to sit on and we excitedly waited for darkness to fall and the Christmas Carols to begin.

Before the Carols started my Poppa bought some candles stuck in little cardboard circles to hold while we sang…  I was very sad because the adults didn't think it was safe for me to hold a candle in case some of the hot wax burnt my hand or worse still the candle burnt my dress.  So I just had to sing along and watch all my family holding candles.

I didn't know many of the words to the Christmas Carols but I remember this one… 

'Away in a manger no quid for a bed, the little George Jesus sat on his Mum's head…'   
My family smiled because these aren't the correct words.

The correct words are, (Away in a Manger no crib for a bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head.)

When the Carol singing was over our family collected our rugs and we walked back home.

By this time it was late and well past my bedtime but my Poppa beckoned me, took my hand and we sat outside on the front veranda.   
Poppa had a lit candle in a safe holder for me to hold and the two of us sang more Christmas Carols together, just the two of us holding candles.
I loved my Poppa very much and I still have lovely memories of this beautiful man.

 Harrie Cleveland Cobcroft, my Poppa.

 Santa gave me a doll at pre-school.

 'Nar Vale' and the front veranda where Poppa and I sat and sang Carols.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?