Friday, July 15, 2016

 

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it, I'm a gonna loose Control... hey! No I'm not.

 I'll have you know that I've been very brave today.... I was a passenger in my car for a 30 minute drive along some straight and some very bendy roads!    And I didn't throw up!

If you know me and if you have ever offered me a lift you will know that I suffer motion sickness, have done since I was little, how my family put up with me I don't know because we did get around a lot... drugs I remember.

Last time I flew to England I threw up 5 times, three in the plane and twice in Tom's car and I had taken drugs!   Luckily I had a lot of sick bags with me.   While living in England that time I went to Boots the Chemist and was given these Traveleze chewy things which I tried and they worked brilliantly with no drowsiness either, I was so excited.   I was able to get them online for a few years but a while ago a child ate several of these chewy Traveleze and they were discontinued.  I went to my Dr with my last packet, no luck, then I went to my Pharmacist, no luck, then my Dentist with no luck again then a couple of years ago I was telling my Physio about my motion problem, there and then he did a search on his computer and found a very similar tablet available in New Zealand called Sea Legs.

I was so excited and ordered some but when I told one friend who had just been to NZ she said she has a motion sickness problem similar to mine and had taken Sea Legs in NZ and was not only violently sick she was very drowsy as well.  That frightened me so much it's taken me probably a year to be brave enough to try the ones I have.

Today was my Brave Day.  At 11am I took 2 Sea Legs, at about 12:30pm David drove me down to Newport!  For ages now we've been going to try lunch at 'The Newport', which was in our day, long before and long after just known as 'The Newport Arms' or 'The Arms', this was one of our old stamping grounds in the mid 1060's, so off we went.

I was okay, didn't throw up and wasn't drowsy but there were a lot of burps happening before we got there.

Look at this enormous tree.

The food was absolutely delicious and there were so many different places to choose different foods from,  the prices were very good and the whole place is like a little outdoor village with a big children's play area as well plus live music.

 When I was a young teenager it was easier to row to the shops at Newport than it was to walk up and down all hills in Crescent Road.  I used to row past that sandbank, stop and let our dog Peewee out for a run, she just loved chasing the seagulls and getting her legs stuck in the wet sand.

 I had Crab Omelette, David had a Pizza but he'd eaten his before I thought to take a photo.

Just a tiny section of the new Arms Hotel, we didn't need to light the fire but it would have been great later on. 

I do remember coming here in the early mid 1960's with open fires in the Beer Garden as it then was called.

Later... I just had to find the shop that I got my first ever job.  I must have been about 16 when I started work at the 'Alley Cat' Milk Bar at Newport Beach... I just loved it, making Burgers and Milkshakes...  This is where the Alley Cat was and the current owner tells us this building is going to be knocked down and Apartments built, how lucky was I to decide to find that old shop today.  I remember you had to watch young teenage boys who would go down this alley and get some bottles that you were able to get a deposit back on and bring them into the shop.


Of course we had to take a selfie at the beach.  Nobody in the water today, not even any surfer board riders... it was chilly though.
I have to say that I didn't feel all that well on the trip home but HEY!  I never threw up so here's hoping for a few more adventures.

Check out the 'The Newport' Here.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?