Tuesday, February 23, 2016

 

These photos were taken by my Great Grandfather, Captain Samuel Alexander Long, while he was serving in Cairo during WW1. My cousin Andrew has restored them, how wonderful is my cousin eh!



 HMAT 'Euripidies' left Sydney Harbour in November 1915 and below is the Officers Menu for Dinner on the 28.11.1915.

Very fancy and filling, I wonder what the regular Soldiers were offered!  This menu is also signed by other officers but I'm wondering what the numbers after their names mean??

 This is the 'Euripides' Mouth Organ Band. 

 And the Buglers.

 Troops disembarking from 'Euripides' at Suez 30.11.1915

 Nurses preparing to board the HMHS 'Dunluce Castle' on 7.4.1916.

 Troops going on Shore Leave in Colombo.

Port Melbourne - Motor Cars waiting to transport Returned Soldiers for Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania.

Labels:


Comments:
Fantastic photos Pennie, what a keepsake!
As far as I know the numbers represent Brigade and Battalion, so 6/18 would be the 6th Brigade, 18th Battalion
 
Yeah! Of course, that could be it!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?