Wednesday, January 15, 2014

 

Devastating News for my sister Meredith.

Meredith and her husband Bill live in Stoneville just east of Perth.  On Sunday they were given 10 minutes notice  to evacuated because of bush fires.   Yesterday afternoon they found out that their home and all their possessions had been destroyed by the fires.

Meredith and Bill built their mud brick home in the hills of Perth almost 30 years ago, Meredith had her studio out the back, where she made, among other things, her stained glass jewellery.  Bill had his Business office in the home... they lost everything.

Son Ben had sold his home and was building nearby so he has lost all his possessions.

Daughter Heath had moved back home from London just before Christmas and she has lost all her possessions as well.

I don't know how to help them... last night while I couldn't sleep, I kept jotting down ideas of ways I can help.

Make Quilts for each of them, I have three large quilt tops already made and just waiting for quilting.
Collect all the old family photos I have and ask my siblings, and my cousins from both sides of the family to send me old photos that I can put on a Disc or some other form to send them.
Search my home for little things that once belonged to our families to send.
Collect old family Recipes and put together in a book

Can you think of anything else I could do?


Labels:


Comments:
So sad Pennie, I do enjoy your blog and hearing about your family. A sewing kit, so the new clothes can be altered, adjusted to fit, hems taken up etc. I did this for a friend and she said it was the best donation/gift she received after their fire. Hugs to you and yours, Delwyn.
 
Thanks Delwyn, that's a brilliant idea, I'm off to Craft Depot tomorrow for backing fabrics anyway so will pick up a few things as well.
 
Oh I am so sorry. If I can help in any way please let me know.
 
Oh, Penny, that's horrible news. How about buying some new underwear for them? Sounds an odd thing, but if they are like me, clean new undies would be a godsend as opposed to clean second hand ones. Also, a couple of exercise books and pens to keep lists of things and write down information she gets. Maybe a folder to keep information in. Are they chocolate people? A box of choccies might be nice as that is the last thing they will be spending money on for a while. If there are other things as time goes on, maybe you could give a shout out on your blog?

 
Thanks Lindi, some great ideas here... I've just ordered wool and needles from Bendigo Wollen Mills to be sent to her in Perth, Meredith is a great knitter so this will help keep her fingers busy. I also sent her all the 315 Postcards from our Aunty Cranky dating 1957 to 1962, there's lots of memories in those old cards.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?