Wednesday, February 20, 2013

 

More about Nurse Rodd!


 It was the 23rd of July 1965, my 20th Birthday when I met all these other wannabe Nurses at Prince Henry Hospital Little Bay, my mother had been a Nurse here during WW2, it was called The Coast Hospital back then.  PHH was a long long way from our home in Newport but it had it's own little beach which we loved.  The Hospital was on enormous grounds with a long coastline and just south of Long Bay jail, we nursed prisoners at times, they were always guarded by a Policeman sitting beside their bed.  There was also a whole building housing several Aborigines with Leprosy, which I never worked in.  Only very special older Nurses worked there.

Now most of the Hospital site is under new housing and I'm finding it hard to work out what is left from what I used to know.


 Swimming at Little Bay.


With nurse friend  ???  I can't remember names... it's been 46 years since I was here.
 The lovely old wards with their big veranda's can be seen on the bottom corner left, and I thought that red brick rectangle building  with the central courtyards was the old Nursing Home but according to Google it was demolished in 2003?

I can see I need to drive down to Little Bay and have a little look around... one day soon!

You can see in this photo, just how close we were to Long Bay Jail!

The Hospital closed down completely in 2003, most to the services transferred to the Prince of Wales Hospital.



Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?