Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Scatterdays #2 - 14.1.2013 - R = Mammal & Technology.
R - Mammal = Ringtail Possums of which we have far too many! Both the above photos I took in our garden!!!
R - Technology = Heath Robinson had the most wonderful ideas for technical things...
Picture #1 is 'The new Banting Machine Bed for reducing the figure'.
Picture #2 is 'An antiquated method of filling the boilers without stopping the engine before the introduction of the water-trough system'.
I have grown up with Heath Robinson, his name was bandied about by my Grandparents then my Parents when I was a kid, everybody in the family loved it when someone fixed something or rigged something up in a rather dodgy but effective way... it was admired and called a 'Heath Robinson'!
Then when David and I were living in England in the 1970's we found several books with Heath Robinson's drawings, they are fascinating and many a child and even an adult have sat for hours devouring his work.
OMIGOSH I've just discovered there is a Heath Robinson Museum now open in the UK... that's going to the top of our 'Must Do' list for next time we're there and just look at the address... Penningtons, Abacus House, 83 Gutter Lane, London
'The Red House' the home of William Morris will be second :-)
R - Technology = Heath Robinson had the most wonderful ideas for technical things...
Picture #1 is 'The new Banting Machine Bed for reducing the figure'.
Picture #2 is 'An antiquated method of filling the boilers without stopping the engine before the introduction of the water-trough system'.
I have grown up with Heath Robinson, his name was bandied about by my Grandparents then my Parents when I was a kid, everybody in the family loved it when someone fixed something or rigged something up in a rather dodgy but effective way... it was admired and called a 'Heath Robinson'!
Then when David and I were living in England in the 1970's we found several books with Heath Robinson's drawings, they are fascinating and many a child and even an adult have sat for hours devouring his work.
OMIGOSH I've just discovered there is a Heath Robinson Museum now open in the UK... that's going to the top of our 'Must Do' list for next time we're there and just look at the address... Penningtons, Abacus House, 83 Gutter Lane, London
'The Red House' the home of William Morris will be second :-)
Labels: R, Scatterdays

